[[Elements (Saros)|The Elements]] is probably one of the most important articles. Honestly, I don’t feel it really contains complete data, but it was one of the first pages written. It did take me several months to figure out how I wanted the elements.
The Elements are the primary driving force in the universe of Saros. They are the energy that all things are created from and the focus of all magic, both physical and ethereal. Each element has its own plane of existence as well as a Primal Dragon.
Nearly everything in the world is composed of base elements. All creatures, objects, beings and even the air itself is made up of this energy. It flows around us, in us, and through us. We, ourselves, are composed of this power.
The Primary elements are Fire, Air, Cold, Earth, Lightning and Water. They interact with each other, defending their partners and assaulting their enemies. They feed off of each other, transforming the energies into different types.
When we die, the energy that makes us who we are splits itself from our physical energy: our body. Our body will slowly breakdown into its primary component elements and, more than likely, be consumed into the physical energy of other beings. Our supernatural energy, or our “soul”, will join with the Evanescence. Here it will intermingle with the energy of all other spirits, sharing itself and its power as it slowly dissolves into the flow.
We use this natural flow of energy for magic as well. By focusing our own energy we are capable of channeling the evanescence and use the energy we need. Different combinations and controls are needed for different effects, but the results are virtually endless.
- The Element of Fire is associated with destruction, short-temperedness and strong emotions such as lust, anger, passion, envy, hatred, jealousy or vengeance.
- Fire consumes Air, though strong enough Air can suffocate Fire.
- Fire is extinguished by Water, though strong enough Fire can evaporate Water.
- Fire is considered to be related to Earth and they work well together.
- Fire is more easily aligned with Darkness than with Light.
- Fire that is heavily aligned with Light is usually known as Holy Fire.
- Fire that is heavily aligned with Darkness is usually known as Shadowflame.
- The Primal Dragon related to Fire is Schalzharaz.
- The Element of Air is associated with secrets, sound gracefulness, agility, knowledge and flow-ability.
- Air shatters Ice, though strong enough Ice can freeze Air.
- Air is consumed by Fire, though strong enough Air can suffocate Fire.
- Air is considered the parent of Lightning and they work well together.
- Air is more easily aligned with Light than with Darkness.
- Air that is heavily aligned with Light is usually known as Ivory Wind.
- Air that is heavily aligned with Darkness is usually known as Duskwind.
- The Primal Dragon related to Air is Saephyrn.
- The Element of Cold or Ice is associated with calm, break-ability, control, apathy, slowness, and numbness.
- Ice breaks Earth, though strong enough Earth can crush Ice.
- Cold is shattered by Air, though strong enough Cold can freeze Air.
- Ice is considered to be the child of Water and they work well together.
- Cold is more easily aligned with Darkness than with Light.
- Cold that is heavily aligned with Light is usually known as Lumin Ice.
- Cold that is heavily aligned with Darkness is usually known as Ravenfrost.
- The Primal Dragon related to Cold is Saaresti.
- The Element of Earth is associated with nature, stability, stubbornness, life, strength, constitution and health.
- Earth grounds Lightning, though strong enough Lightning can rupture Earth.
- Earth is broken by Ice, though enough Earth can crush Ice.
- Earth is considered to be related to Fire and they work well together.
- Earth is more easily aligned with Light than with Darkness.
- Earth that is heavily aligned with Light is usually known as Stardust.
- Earth that is heavily aligned with Darkness is usually known as Skung.
- The Primal Dragon related to Earth is Drogan.
- The Element of Lightning is associated with speed, unpredictability, flashiness, reactivity and energy.
- Lightning anulls Water, but strong enough Water can neutralize Lightning.
- Lightning is grounded by Earth, though strong enough Lightning can rupture Earth.
- Lightning is considered to be the child of Air and they work well together.
- Lightning is not easily aligned with either Light or Darkness, though it is usually associated with Darkness.
- Lightning that is heavily aligned with Light is usually known as White Lightning.
- Lightning that is heavily aligned with Darkness is known as Darklyte.
- The Primal Dragon related to Lightning is Hakirae.
- The Element of Water is associated with sadness, crying, fluidness, adjustibility, reflectiveness and cleanliness.
- Water extinguishes Fire, though strong enough Fire can evaporate Water.
- Water is anulled by Lightning, though strong enough Water can neutralize Lightning.
- Water more easily aligned to Light than with Darkness.
- Water that is heavily aligned with Light is known as Pure Water.
- Water that is heavily aligned with Darkness is known as Murk.
- The Primal Dragon related to Water is Vasael.
- Water Magic includes Time Magic
The secondary elements are the forms of energy that bind the primary elements together.
All natural energies are aligned with light and/or dark. The creatures of our world are mostly light aligned, as we are beings created in the light. There is, however, another world created in darkness. This world is virtually identical to ours in most regards, but the energies of our world interact differently with the energy of theirs. For example, a spell we know which raises corpses as undead beings is a dark aligned spell. It will work as we expect on a light-aligned creature. When used on a dark creature, however, it will fully reunite their body and soul, resurrecting them. A light-aligned resurrection spell would raise a dark creature as a zombie. Animate Dead is essentially a dark resurrection spell.
Mana behaves in the way that we would expect an electron to behave in the real world. It is used to bind elements together, carrying them through the evanescence and through the material world, allowing them the right amount of freedom and control necessary. All magic uses mana to as a source of control and all elements in their magical form are bound by mana. Raw mana can be used to invoke powerful spells and elemental power. When the mana is disjoined from a spell or magical being, the energy either returns to the Evanescence or stays on the Material Plane as physical energy. Increasing the amount of mana in a spell or magical being can cause several different effects such as increasing its power, binding it or causing more chaotic results.
Mana can have a positive or negative charge, depending on how it interacts with its environment. Positively charged mana is known as Lucent Mana or Light Energy while negatively charged mana is known as Sable Mana or Dark Energy. Light and Dark Energy effect elemental forces differently and cause these elements to react differently when in the presence of their opposite charges.
A large portion of the Mana in the Material Plane is positively charged. This is considered to be standard and accepted as it means most creatures in the light realm are light aligned. Certain elements are more susceptible to being aligned with light as well, such as earth, air and water. Light interacting with a dark aligned creature or element will likely have the opposite effect as expected. For example, a standard light aligned Mend spell would cause damage to a dark aligned creature.
Dark Energy isn’t a large part of the light realm, but it still exists. Certain elements are more susceptible to it and gather it more regularly, such as Fire or Cold. Lightning is an interesting element since it more readily accept raw Mana rather than Light or Dark. Spells charged with dark energy usually have negative effects on light aligned creatures and naming conventions normally indicate this. For example, the dark aligned spell Shadow Touch causes serious damage to a light creature, but can instantly heal mend wounds on a shadow creature.